Darren Main is a unique yoga teacher, and it shows in his gentle demeanor, his heart melting restorative classes and his availability to his students. He has found an amazing niche in his home city of San Francisco, managing a very successful teacher training, providing podcasts, video’s and blog posting on an almost daily basis and teaching to a wide assortment of students. In his spare time, he has published four books and has another one on the way about the business of yoga.
Darren is the epitome of finding the balance between business and yoga. We inspire to be as focused and grounded as he is!
This is what he had to say when we interviewed him…
- Where do you teach? How long have you been teaching?
Yoga Tree, Grace Cathedral, The Sun Room
- What is your yoga lineage, or, the teachers and modality you learned from?
Originally Kripalu Yoga, but now hatha flow and restorative.
- Where do you get your inspiration?
By traveling to India each year. I like to get my yoga from the source!
- What’s your favorite website?
Other than my own? MacRumors.com. . . I’m a closet geek!
- What’s your style in the studio (clothing, candles, music, scent)?
Background or live music, no scent, some candles, one naked class per week, the rest clothed.
- How did you start your journey and how long did it take you to get where you are today? Who and what were instrumental in getting you here?
My journey began with the twelve-steps. My first teacher jump-started my life and I have been on an adventure ever since!
- What kind of business experience do you have and how do you utilize it?
None. . . just years of making mistakes and occasionally finding things that work.
- What’s been your greatest struggle in your yoga profession?
My own ego. . . the temptation to compare my teaching to that of others. When I fall into that trap, nothing flows. When I teach my own dharma, then all the pieces come together.
- What is the most embarrassing thing that you have said or that has happened to you in your class?
Just one? Asking a woman what her due date was only to be told that she wasn’t pregnant was defiantly a low point.
- What is one piece of essential advice that you would give to a new teacher?
“To thy own self be true!” If you are trying to teach another teachers class you will fall on your face. Know your practice, love your practice and share it with the world.
- Have you ever wanted to just give up and if so, what kept you going?
I have my moments, but for the most part, I thank God every day that I have the best job in the world! Gratitude for the gift of teaching is the best wind for your sails!
- What’s your favorite yoga outfit?
Well, I teach a naked class, so might not be the best question to ask me. But for my clothed classes, I like the 72K line of men’s yoga clothes.
- Did you ever have 3 students in your class?
Yes. . . . But they were the three most important students in the world at that moment. I was grateful to serve them.
- Tell us something that you don’t tell your students…
I like Diet Coke way more than I like to admit.